A creative thinker with a strong conceptual and innovative approach to your work, the Senior Graphic Designer will be involved in all aspects of graphic design, from the first conceptual and creative stage to managing and delivering the final design product.
The production of the MCA Design studio is an integral part of supporting and developing MCA’s brand identity and communicating with our stakeholders. The Senior Graphic Designer is responsible for designing a range of communication materials for exhibitions, print (including publications/public programs/marketing/merchandise), signage, web design and multimedia projects to convey messages and themes consistent with the vision of the MCA. The Senior Graphic Designer is also responsible for setting graphic design direction and providing graphic design advice and guidance to other members of the design team.
Reporting to the Head of Design Studio, this role works closely with all MCA departments – Curatorial and Digital, Audiences and Creative Learning and Development and Business to develop and produce design solutions for exhibition programs, Gallery publications, events and related activities.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake design projects, respond to internal client design needs and think creatively to meet design specifications within time and cost constraints.
- Act as a high level custodian of the MCA brand and ensure the look and feel of the MCA brand is applied consistently across the organization.
- Responsible for quality control of all finished artwork produced by the design studio, meeting all internal and external deadlines.
- Lead by example and work collaboratively with the Design Studio Manager to ensure all work is completed on time within resources and is properly documented and archived.
- Liaise regularly with a wide range of internal and external customers, stakeholders and suppliers, building and enhancing relationships.
- Provide guidance to MCA Design Studio graphic design staff, freelancers and interns.
- Stay up to date with contemporary design, print industry and design tools for digital media, research new technologies and trends and provide advice regarding system or process improvements.
Main selection criteria
Candidates must be able to demonstrate that they have:
- degree in visual communication or graphic design
- minimum 5 to 7 years of design experience in an agency and in-house studio
- balanced and flexible approach to creative and design thinking
- proven experience in managing multiple projects and stakeholders with the ability to deliver to tight deadlines and strong project management skills
- previous experience working with artists and curators using a consultative approach to design
- the ability to use Apple platform software, including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop and HTML 5 software including Adobe After Effects
- proven experience designing and preparing for the production of print and digital advertisements, digital and physical signage, digital assets, books and brochures
- experience preparing artwork, including color management, and knowledge of the print production process
- an understanding of motion graphics and how concepts will be animated on digital platforms
- exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with a flexible approach, a positive and friendly personality and an ability to work well within a team
- the ability to work with limited production budgets and negotiate the best outcome for the Museum
- proven ability to work independently while contributing to team projects and a cohesive studio environment
- experience in providing advice and support to team members
- an understanding and experience of 3D and spatial design
- experience in developing graphical wayfinding systems
- experience in effective visual expression of dense and complex information
- experience developing and designing brand and program related products
- strong attention to detail and demonstrated proofreading skills
- knowledge, understanding and application of typography
- proven track record of adhering to established brand guidelines
Candidates should have:
- working knowledge of file formats and video compression
- a working knowledge of photography, lighting and retouching
- previous experience in an arts or non-profit organization or experience with arts-related clients
- demonstrated interest in art
- the ability to work flexibly to meet peak demand when needed.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements
Please note that it is currently required under MCA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that all employees be fully vaccinated. You will need to provide proof of your COVID-19 vaccination if you are successful. Please note that full vaccination under current NSW government guidelines means two doses of COVID-19 vaccine for adults and any future approved vaccination boosters. The MCA continues to review this policy regularly and may change the vaccination mandate requirements in the future.
To learn more about working with the MCA and how to apply, please visit our website.
Working for the MCA
The MCA is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. MCA promotes a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where individuals are treated with fairness, equality and dignity. Learn more about MCA.